Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Not too long into my career as a bike messenger in '87 I picked up a large package near Bloomingdales and decided to ride one-handed, this the day after I put new brake pads on. Within one block a cabbie cut me off, I knew right then that I shoulda held package with my left but as quick as a blink I was hurtling over the handlebars face first onto Lexington ave. I completed the delivery and headed to St. Vincent's. I wasn't really hurt but was banged up and bleeding. After quite a wait they cleaned some of Lexington ave outta my skin. Never having been to the hospital before I was a bit shocked at the bill. Even more so when they asked for an address to send it to when I said I had no money on me, cuz my boys told me never to bring your wallet to the emergency room. My only other dealings were around '97 to pay my boy Greg (R.I.P.) a final visit before they pulled the plug and 9/11 where they anxiously awaited survivors that never came was a sad site for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment